Who We Want
Working as an Arizona Teaching Fellow is more than a job; it’s a commitment to students who are counting on your help to beat the odds and achieve their full potential. Each day will bring unexpected challenges and immeasurable rewards.
There is no one profile of an ideal candidate. You could be a high-achieving recent college graduate who majored in economics or physics and now wants to share your passion for these subjects with Arizona’s students. You may have built a successful career in business or engineering, and now wish to give back as a teacher working with high-need students. You may have experience working with young people as a social worker or tutor, and now wish to make a career in education. Whatever your background, you share a commitment to improving student achievement and changing the lives of students in Arizona’s traditionally underserved communities.
Because we know that great teachers are the key to student success, our program is highly selective—admitting 10% of applicants in 2012. We look for highly-motivated individuals with diverse personal and professional backgrounds who have the capacity to be successful teaching in one of the districts’ critical-need subjects: math, biology, chemistry, physics, English language arts, and special education. We review every application carefully, looking for candidates with the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to thrive in some of our city’s most-challenging classrooms.
We are looking for candidates who:
- Are committed to raising achievement among high-need students, including students with disabilities and those who are performing significantly below grade level
- Recognize that being an effective teacher requires hard work, long days and a commitment to students outside of class time
- Believe that all students can achieve at high levels and that it is their responsibility as the teacher to make that happen
- Demonstrate success in past endeavors
- Persevere in the face of challenges
- Think critically and analytically
- Desire professional growth and seek out opportunities to learn
- Communicate clearly and effectively
- Operate with a high level of integrity
If you have what it takes to inspire and motivate yourself, your colleagues and your students and to work toward closing the achievement gap, we strongly encourage you to APPLY NOW
If you know someone who would make a great Teaching Fellow, refer a Fellow here